Sunday 17 March 2013

My first encounter with Amigurumi

It all started when I planned to give the kids at House of Blessings, an orphanage in Chiangmai, gifts that they would like. I did not want to give the usual stuff, like food and stationery sets. I was cracking my brain for days and finally arrived at the conclusion that what more kids like best? Of course it's TOYS!!!

I was so excited scurrying around and I realised it was not an easy task to get 135 different toys and have them stuffed into my suitcase, plus it would burn a big hole in my pocket. I still spent long hours everyday searching the net to look for ideas and I chanced upon 'Amigurumi'.

Just a brief explanation from Wikipedia:

Amigurumi (編みぐるみ?, lit. crocheted or knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.[1] Amigurumi are typically animals, but can include artistic renderings or inanimate objects endowed with anthropomorphic features,[2] as is typical in Japanese culture.




In simple text, typical amigurumi animals/dolls have an over-sized spherical head on a cylindrical body with undersized extremities. And, they are simply so cute!

I was so inspired and am still now, by just browsing through the different sites and went goo goo ga ga over all the super cute animals.

I will share with you in my next post of the toys I have made for the kids in Chiangmai.

See ya!

Love
Law








No comments:

Post a Comment